Saturday, September 27, 2008

Suits & Slides

I woke up entirely too early this morning. 8 o'clock on a Saturday just isn't nice. I fell asleep yesterday evening while I was sitting in my giant love sac and took at least an hour nap in it, so I was wide awake when my normal bedtime came around. I didn't get to sleep til around 3, so it's been a loooong day. But I've been able to get a lot of stuff done! My studio is getting cleared out and organized, so hopefully it'll be back up and running here at this new location. (More on my move later). I met up with Emily and we went to Thompson Photo to look at lenses for her camera. We ended up chatting with the guy there for a good hour I think. It's been so long since I've really talked photography and film with anyone that I had forgotten just how excited I get. It was like I was a little school girl again!

After I got to be a photo-nerd for a while again, we went to the Crown and Goose gastropub. The food was incredible! I ordered Bangers and Mash, with a side order of Bubbles & Sqeak. Some very standard, albeit delicous, British Meals. The Bangers were covered in this wonderful spicy mustard and gravy-like sauce. We also split a plowmans lunch, which is normally just some bread, cheese, and fruit, but this one was a delicacy! It had all of the aforementioned items, but the cheeses weren't exactly your run of the mill cheddars. From the Menu:

Ploughman’s Lunch (an English Cheese Board) – Classic Stilton, white stilton with blueberries, cheddar and red veined claret wine cheese, Double Glouchester a medium sharp English cheddar with strip of aged stilton, and Red Dragon made with Welsh brown ale and mustard seeds. Boards served with roasted walnuts, Chef’s choice of English fruit preserves and artisan honey, and French baguette

One of the fruits that was served with the cheese was grapes. But they weren't your standard variety of grapes, no, they were teeny-tiny. I'm talking like 5mm diameter, Lilliputian in proportion. And they were about the sweetest grapes I've had in ages! I just did a search and found them out to be Black Corinth grapes.

The only downside to this wonderful meal was the bill. Everything there is very expensive. And although it was a delectable meal, I'm just not sure it was worth that much money.

Then we headed over to Legacy, a vintage store near the Crown and Goose. Much to my chagrin, I found some incredibly awesome suits! They were more expensive than the $12 I'm used to spending at Goodwill, but I think I may have been willing to pay for them, but unfortunately the pants didn't really fit me at all any of them. The waist was too tight and if I had bent over, I would have split a seam. I was slightly bummed because one was this incredible maroon-ish red color! But my wallet is thanking me right now, that's for sure. I just had to drop a bunch of money into my "Battle Van" aka the Mystery Machine. In fact, i spent more on repairs than I did for the van itself... (mainly because the van was a gift) :-D So now my van has 4 new tires, fresh oil, coolant, steering, brake, and every other kind of fluid running in it. It still has a slight problem where it won't turn off unless I disconnect the battery, but that's only a triviality :-P (More on that in my upcoming posts).

I got home and decided it was time to go through my clothes. I tried on my suits and found that most all of them fit quite well! There're are only two that don't fit as well as they could, but I think I could still get away with wearing them. While I was doing that, Emily dove into my closet and started pulling out clothes that she felt didn't belong in my primary closet (I have two now that I'm renting a two bedroom), or just didn't belong in any closet at all. So now I have a very large pile of clothes on my lovesac that I have to go through and try to actually get rid of a few. I'm trying really hard to part with my clothes and other items in a push to be less materialistic, or whatever, and try to free up some room in my closet(s). All those skeletons of mine are just taking up way too much room. It's incredibly hard for me to get rid of stuff. Especially if it has any sort of memory associated with it, or if it was a gift (which I guess is a memory, so i guess mainly just that). I'm incredibly sentimental, and very much a penny pincher. And both traits lead me straight toward being a hoarder (Jon's pronunciation: whoreder).

A parting image to put a smile on your face:

1 comment:

Amy Sun said...

Speaking of the move, I need your new address!